Visitors to this page

Monday, March 12, 2012

We Ain't in Kansas Anymore, Toto








Things I'd Rather do With my Uniform Skirt Than Wear it Daily:


1. Donate it to the homeless to use as a tent


2. Use it as kindling for a bonfire


3. Feed it to Simba, the dog (he thinks my shoes are delicious, so it's not a far stretch)


4. Send it back on a time machine to the 60s, where it should rest in peace forever.


5. Hack it to pieces with a battle axe.




True story: while I was trying to upload this picture, my computer spazzed out and I had to restart it four times. Even electronic equippment can't handle the ugly.


Horrid uniform and crazy classes aside, I'm adjusting pretty well. Some other things I'm getting used to:



1. Food. The food here's great, but it's just so different from what I'm used to at home. I've found myself dying to taste something familiar...at a low point last week I walked to the convenience store in hopes to find a snickers bar or something American, but the only chocolate I could find was this random arabic cookie, which I passive-aggressively shoved down my face. So not the same. Globalization, where are you when I need you?!


Upon a trip to Wendy's, I was thrilled to find that, although the menu looks nothing like its american counterpart (no chili!) they have Ceasar salad. Yes! Something familiar! So I ordered it, but when it came, I was disappointed to find that there was no actual ceasar dressing included in the ceasar salad. Instead I got "Avocado Ranch". Well, at least there was good old Parmesan cheese, right? Nope. It was The Honduran Cheese. At least it was a salad.


At school for breakfast we have all-honduran options-- tacos, popusas, churros, and soda. I ordered Popusas last week, and the lady handed me a bag with my popusas drowning in three different types of salsa and...no fork. Or napkin. I turned to Nicol and said, "How do I eat it?" She cracked up and said, "With your hands, silly!" Uh, really?


So I went to the store with this idea in my head that I would purchase American sandwich ingredients to bring to school. So I went to look for cheese. But all they had was The Honduran Cheese and this frightening-looking limp yellow stuff that was being marketed as "American Cheese". So I went to get some deli meat, hoping I would find turkey or something. No such luck...all they had was ham, chicken, and ham AND chicken-- gross! I finally settled with PB&J, which thankfully they had the ingredients for. I do love trying new foods here, though, more on that later.



2. Bugs. As I started to write this, there was a bug crawling across my shoulder, which I pinched off and discarded. A few weeks ago I may have been more phased by this, but there are so many here that I've gotten pretty used to them. I've gotten countless mosquito bites, there are these tiny black crawlers everywhere, and cockroaches half the size of my fist scuttle across the living room floor. Luckily I've never been that scared of bugs, so it doesn't bother me too much, but it's something worth mentioning.



3. PDA. Personal space is not as much of a concept here in Honduras. It's hard for me to follow who's dating who at school, because everybody is touching everybody all the time. Boys I've never seen before in my life will kiss my cheek, hug me, put their arm around my shoulders, or grab my waist or hips (and, oddly, are more comfortable doing so than actually talking to me). The first week I was like, BACK OFF, MY FRIEND, I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY! but I'm used to it now. Typical scenario:


I am walking with so-and-so, and so-and-so stops to greet her boyfriend. Boyfriend kisses so-and-so's cheek, then hugs her, then boyfriend kisses MY cheek and hugs me. Why, hello. Nice to meet you too.





8 comments:

  1. So funny! Baby you look gorgeous as always. You actually are quite stunning in brown. I've often thought that a warm brown shift dress would be amazing with you skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the pepper spray handy ... just in case =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaiti,
    Love your writing!!! Makes me think, "Oh, good. I don't have to go to Honduras to experience Honduras. I can just read Kaiti's blog." Which is a very good thing, because I just can't fit it into my week.
    I think of you every time I see Molly. Which isn't very often.
    :) Just kidding.
    But I am excited for you! This is fantastic.
    ~Kristine Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited too! I so appreciate comments <3

      Delete
  4. Kaiti! How I miss your sweet face. Maddie and Simmi are getting together this week while Maddie and Micah are staying with your parents. It reminds me of all the times I had to pick up Molly at your house when you guys were younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! :) I can't believe that Maddie and Simmi are the same ages Molly and I were when we started hanging out...it's so crazy!

      Delete