Visitors to this page

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Conviviencia

Here's what I ate for lunch today. This trip has been a lot of firsts for me. Today was my first time making eye contact with my food whilst eating it! Haha! It was really good though.
The convivencia was really fun. When I got to school, I went to my classroom and then my class and a few other classes met up and started walking down the street towards the building where we were going to have the convivencia. I was wrong earlier about it being the whole school, it was just my grade, about 60 people or so. We walked for 15 minutes or so until we got to a large building where we all got out fold-up chairs and sat to pray and watch a bunch of random christian videos, including one about a guy with no arms who learned to play worship songs on the guitar with his feet. Impressive. And then the principal said something and then everybody started hugging each other-- this has happened a few times this week, actually, they really like hugs here. So after I hugged pretty much my entire grade, we headed outside and divided into groups where we prepared presentations and posters about God and Catholicism and stuff. Actually, I shouldn't say we, because all I did was sit and look clueless. Then all the groups gave presentations with their posters and I'm not really sure what they said. And then we had break, and a few girls I had been talking to asked me if I wanted to eat with them, and I said yes, excited at the prospect of making new friends. Unfortunately, I believe I also unwittingly caused some drama, because people kept telling me that Nicol was upset that I told her I wasn't going to eat with her and her friends. Oops! Later I told her that I was sorry if I had been rude, though, so I think we're cool now. I like Nicol and I hadn't been trying to ditch her, I just want to get to know as many people as I possibly can! Note to self: figure out how to navigate these scenarios.
After break we played a bunch of really entertaining games and then we walked back to the school. My new friends invited me to come hang out with them at one of their houses, and of course I wanted to, but I told them no because I didn't know how I was going to get home if I missed my schoolbus. Hopefully I'll figure something out for getting around in the future, because I want to be able to hang out with people! One of the girls I met said she lives really close to me, so maybe I'll be able to hang out with her if she lives within walking distance. She wants me to come over because she is dead set on helping me understand programming because it's her favorite class...well I don't know how much hope there is for me, but I'll take all the help I can get!

4 comments:

  1. Kaiti!!
    I love reading this, I think it's so cool that you have this opportunity, and you have a really great voice! It's fun to read your take on everything you've been doing.
    It seems like so much fun!
    ¡Es muy fantástico que puedes explorar el mundo asi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christina! :) Si es fantastico <3 I heard a rumor you're going abroad as well, is that true?

      Delete
    2. Well I'm going to Italy, France, and Spain this summer, but only for two weeks. It's gonna be so fun though! (:

      Delete
    3. That's awesome! My mom thought you were doing an exchange program. I'd love to see spain :)

      Delete