Visitors to this page

Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm home :)

I have finally made it: I am with my host family! Yesterday a Comayagua volunteer came to pick me up from the AFS office in Tegus and took me to a Burger King in Comayagua where my host sister and her boyfriend picked me up. When we got to the house a lot of the family was there, lots of cousins and such. They served me a delicious lunch of sausage, some other kind of meat, pico de gallo, guacamole, and tortillas and then my host sister and her boyfriend and I began to walk around the neighborhood. I was uncharacteristically frozen with nerves for the first hour upon meeting my host family, but I have since then relaxed. Rosa showed me the gigantic neighborhood swimming pool, and then we met up with her cousin (I think she's her cousin) Gracia and hung around the tennis court for a bit. Gracia and I sat down on the bleachers and talked for a while. She, as well as Rosa and every other kid I've met around my age, speaks perfect english (dang it!) but I enticed her to speak a little bit of spanish with me as well. Gracia and I talked about books and school and we have a lot in common. She likes a lot of the same books I like! We played a bit of Uno in the corner of the tennis court with some other girls from the neighborhood and then we walked back to the house and she showed me the pets-- two dogs and a turtle who lives in the sink in the backyard.
Then Gracia and her family left and Rosa and I hung out and watched narnia for a bit and she made eggs and chicken nuggets, and we talked a little bit.
I really like my host sister. I won't be going to school with her because she goes to a private school where all the classes are conducted in English. She takes fourteen classes at the same time!!! I thought I had it rough one year when I had to take eight. She says I'll probably be taking at least ten, even in public school. Her school also requires that she volunteer after school so she doesn't get home until four because she teaches (or helps teach?) English classes for kids after school. She says she doesn't have time to do much but homework (no kidding!) and go to youth group and church and see her boyfriend, who lives in Tegus, on the weekends. She is a Christian, probably a bit more conservative than me judging by some things she's said. For example, she thinks Harry Potter (and most fantasy in general) is demonic. That's a pretty popular view among Christians even in my church, but I definitely don't feel that way. I'm so glad she loves God, and I'm really excited to see what her church is like.
We all went to pizza hut for dinner. I had a slice of pizza and a glass of Horchata...mmmm....horchata. Horchata! How I love thee! I could write sonnets about my love for thee! But I won't. Horchata is a highly pleasing beverage consisting of rice, cinnamon, and vanilla, and for some bizarre and inexplicable reason, it is rarely available in the states. I plan to consume as much Horchata as physically possible during my stay here.
After dinner we went home and went to bed. When I woke up, everyone was gone except the help, Sandra. She is really nice and she makes delicious food. For breakfast, she made me a sandwich and a glass of juice out of some sort of fruit I've never seen before-- it's green on the outside and yellow on the inside. And for lunch she made me fried chicken and french fries and cantalope juice. Mmmm. Juice. I really enjoy juice. She also did some of my laundry...I wanted to do it myself, but she insisted. It's really weird for me having people do things for me on a day-to-day basis, but I guess it's pretty normal here.
I don't know how long I'll be lazing around the house like this because they still haven't picked a school for me. I was accepted into Instituto Marista La Immaculada, which is a catholic school, but for some reason AFS would rather I go to a different one. Today I just took a walk, watched "Monk" and put my clothes away. I asked Sra Ortega if I could walk around, and she said I could walk around in the neighborhood but not outside of it. If I don't have school tomorrow, I will go swimming...this will probably be my only chance to have that whole big pool to myself!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! Don't cave and speak English!!

    ReplyDelete