Visitors to this page

Friday, June 15, 2012

No Soy Como Shakira

    Lately, I feel comfortable. I have enough friends that I'm usually not lack for things to do, my spanish is a lot better, and I feel like I pretty much have got the hang of how things work around here. I go home in three weeks, but it's bittersweet because now I know I'll miss my home here so much when I go back.
    My vacation week was chill but really great. I went to Cesia's house on thursday, and we hung out in her Pulperia again with her sister. Her taxi driver/buddy Aldo showed up, and we hung out with him too. We just talked and watched Tela Novelas. I always laugh at the dramatic parts of Tela Novelas because they're so ridiculous, and nobody understands why. I try to suppress it, but I just can't. The music gets to me every time.
    The conversation turned to my lack of dance skills, and Cesia decided to take up what is now basically a town-wide endeavor-- teaching me how to dance. We turned up some music in her living room, and I became the entertainment for the evening (Cesia's sister sat on the couch laughing and taking pictures-- those will probably be floating around somewhere on the internet for all of eternity, heaven help me). We started out with Punta, which is traditional Honduran dancing. It involves a lot of butt-shaking whilst spinning around in circles. It looks really cool when Cesia does it, but I'm fairly certain I looked like a retarded duck. After that, we tried Vachata and then Reggueton. Cesia kept yelling "Muda la cadera! Lacaderalacaderalacadera! SEXI KAITI SEXI! Circulos sexis! Como Shakira!"
    "Pero no soy como Shakira" I protested, all the same trying to emulate the impossible ways she was permeating her body. "How do you do that?" I kept asking, which resulted in more lacaderalacaderalacadera.
    At the end of our lesson Cesia swore I had made progress. She screamed with delight and declared that I had learned "circulos sexis". I'm not so sure, but oh well. At least I got a good work out!
   On saturday I got to go to Kora's quincenera! Kora is Nicole's little sister. It was exciting because I'd never been to one before. It was really impressive: like a wedding. We had a very fancy sit-down meal and the whole place was decorated with red and white. Kora wore a puffy floor length red dress and performed dances with her friends, who were all wearing white and red dresses and tuxes. I actually missed the dancing because I left early-- Rosa had a stomach ache.
    On sunday we went to Rosa's grandparents farm. We ate lots of mi abuelita catracha's fantastic food and watched soccer and chilled. I'm actually kind of getting into watching soccer, which is funny because I am not sporty in any way, shape, or form. I have an unfortunate habit of laughing inappropriately when the players fall down and make funny faces, so I'm sure my family thinks I'm a psycho. What is even more entertaining than the game itself is watching everyone else get really into it-- my host mama gets excited and does a little dance when her team scores, it's really cute.
   We stayed until monday, and on tuesday it was back to school. I went to Kenia's house again after school to make banana milkshakes and watch TV. It was fun!
    I wish I had more pictures, but my camera broke. The lens won't open. It's really a bummer because this is the best month to take pictures-- it's my last month here and I've made a lot of plans with friends. Next week I turn 17 and my friends are throwing me a surprise birthday party! Well, it's not a surprise anymore because they whispered about it in front of me, not knowing I could understand. But I will act very surprised :)

No comments:

Post a Comment